tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 16 05:05:41 1997

"verbs of saying" when you're not "saying"

	qoror here.  I have something interesting to bring up (I think).  To
quote TKD, "... with verbs of saying (say, ask, tell, etc.) 'e' and net are not
used."  Well, think about this.  Say somebody gives a lower officer an order by
long distance.  For instance, he might really write it down (don't ask me why)
or something else.  But in doing it, he doesn't actually -speak-.  In the
sentence, you use the word "ra'," and it's a sentence-as-object construction.
Do you use "'e'?"

Back to archive top level