tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 14 20:52:17 1997

RE: KLBC: be'pu'

On Monday, April 14, 1997 5:12 AM, [email protected] on behalf of Diego
'Mago' De Miguel wrote:

> ngo'bogh jabbI'IDmey vIlaDpu' 'ej *ram QeH* jabbI'IDmey vIparHa' law'
> Hoch vIparHa' puS.
>   (I've read old emails and I've liked the most the *ram QeH* thread)

You can only use verbs which state qualities in a law'/puS sentence.  Things
like {bIr} or {Quch}.  {parHa'} is not a quality, it's an action.

If you want to use law'/puS, you can just choose another verb.

*ram QeH* jabbI'IDmey qaq law' Hoch qaq puS
The {ram QeH} messages are the most preferable.

> Sov lughajbej!
>   (They certainly have knowledge!)

Hmmm . . . might it not be better to use the verb form of {Sov} here?
{Sovbej}.

> reH nuQeHmoH be'pu'
>   (Women always cause us to get mad)

maj.  taHbej mu'tlheghvam!

> batlh lughajbe'mo' loDpu' batlh lunIH
>   (They steal the male's honor because they don't have any)

maj.  You might want to use the verb {quv} "be honored" here; this will break
your dependence on the verb {ghaj}.

quvbe'mo' chaH, loDpu' batlh lunIH.

> chaHmo' bechbe'bogh loD jISovbe'
>   (I don't know any man who hasn't suffered because of them)

Watch that verb prefix on {Sov}!  You might want an aspect suffix here, too:

chaHmo' bechpu'be'bogh loD vISovbe'.

Good sentence!

mu'meylIjmo' DuparchoHbe' be' SaH 'e' vItul.

> chaHmo' jIbechbejpu' 'ej jIbechvIpqa'
>   (I've certainly suffered because of them and I'm afraid to suffer
> again)

majQa'!!!

> 'ach bangwI' vItu' 'e' vItul!
>   (But still I hope to find someone to love!)

You don't really need {-wI'} on {bang}.  People usually do that because
Valkris says {bangwI'} and it's a memorable line.

bang vItu' 'e' vItul!

> not jegh tlhInganpu' :)!
>   (Klingons never give up!)

maj.  reH tuvrup tlhIngan SuvwI'!

> qeSHom:
> be' Dangagh 'e' DaneHchugh, tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' yIja'Qo'!

When using {neH} or verbs of saying like {ja'}, you don't use {'e'} at all!
Also, evidence seems to point to Klingon quotations always being direct.

be' Dangagh DaneHchugh, <tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh> yIja'Qo'!

> Haw'moH 'oH :)!
>   (A small advice:
>   If you wanna get on with a woman, don't ever tell them you can speak
> Klingon!
>   It makes them flee!)
>     (Note: As I'm not very fluent in English, I'm not sure if "get on"
> is here the right way to say it, but I guess you've all understood me :)

I believe the expression is "get it on," but it's really a colloquialism
(however that's spelled; I'm too lazy to look it up right now!).  I wouldn't
use it myself.

> jInIDtaH...
>   (I'll keep on trying...)

maj.  bIquv'eghmoH!