tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 14 20:52:16 1997

RE: Simple difference problem...

On Monday, April 14, 1997 12:26 AM, [email protected] on behalf of Eliseo
C. d'Annunzio, Esquire wrote:
> What is the difference between ja' and jatlh?

{ja'} is "tell, report."  One example Okrand has used is {qaja'pu'} "I told
you."

{jatlh} is "speak, say."  The only object which this verb has ever taken in
canon is the name of a language, for example, {tlhIngan Hol}.  When talking
about speaking about something, the person being spoken to can be indicated by
{-vaD}: {'avwI'vaD jatlh qama' <jI'oj>}

I have two ideas as to what is happening with {ja'}.  (1) It can take the
person being spoken to as the object.  It might also be able to take the thing
being reported as the object.  (2) When the person being spoken to is
indicated in the verb's prefix, this might be some sort of indirect object
indicator.

In summary: we're not totally sure, and everybody's got ideas on how they're
used.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian