tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 14 20:51:28 1997

RE: KLBC: Practicing...

jatlh mIqIraH:
> > > "table" 'oH mu'tlhegh 'e' wItu'nIS!
> >
> > "We need to find that a sentence is a table."  nuqjatlh?
> > {mu'tlhegh'e'} bIjatlhnISlaw'.
>
> I was basically trying to say something like, "We need a
> word/phrase/sentance for 'table,'" but I couldn't figure out the best
> way to do it.

"table" wImughmeH tlhIngan Hol mu' wIpoQ.

> > > qay'wI'vam wIghajbe' *tey'bIl* 'oHchugh "table," qar'a'? :-)
> >
> > It is our policy not to transliterate words like that.
>
> I am well aware of that policy, and support it fully.  Note the smiley
> face... I was trying to make a joke, but I guess the humor didn't come
> across.  You know, something like, "Woulnd't things be easier if 'table'
> was just 'tey'bIl?'"  I don't actually propose that we create a new
> word, especially one so obviously transliterated as that one! :-)

I figured that you were trying to make a joke, but not every beginner reading
this KLBC thread will be able to understand what you said.  And smiley faces
are notoriously misleading at times.  Is that last sentence of yours also a
joke?

> chIch tlhIngan Hol chutmey vIqaw.

chIch Daqaw'a'?  vaj chIch chutmey lIj ghot puS?

What do you mean by, "I intentionally remember the rules of Klingon"?

> vIqawchugh chaq Qapla' vItu'?

If this is a question, you need to tag it with the {-'a'} suffix.  As a
question I don't think you need to use {chaq}.  If you keep {chaq}, this would
best be a statement.

vIqawchugh Qapla' vItu''a'?
vIqawchugh chaq Qapla' vItu'.

> 'e' vIneH.

You never use {'e'} or {net} with {neH}.  You just leave it out.

> pIj tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom vIlaD, 'ach vIQagh...

{jIQagh}.  I don't think you can say, "I make a mistake it" or "I err it."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level