tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 12 18:39:27 1997

Re: SopDaq

[email protected] wrote:

> How far may we go in constructing new words from the existing roots?

I suppose my {yoymoHwI'} provoked this.  There's nothing obscure about
{yoymoHwI'}; it's a a straightforward application of two verb suffixes
to a verb.  This isn't going very far at all; in fact it's rather
conservative since it very *clearly* means "thing which causes
(something) to be upside down".  It only looks like a stretch because I
called it an "inverter" instead of an "upside-down maker" (which is
*really* bad English).

>  Recently I have seen {paqghom} for "library" with no negative comments following.

"Book-group" for "library" is understandable, if not perfect.

> We know that {QongDaq} is canon for "bed."  May I use {SopDaq} for "dining table"?

Haven't we covered this a dozen times?  {SopDaq} is verb+noun, and we
have no grammatical license to do that.

> How about {ghItlhDaq} for "escritoire"?

Huh?  Time for a bigger dictionary than my desktop Webster's!  Or is it
even English?  It looks French, and my knowledge of French is minimal;
something about writing, obviously.

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'