tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 11 15:11:55 1997

RE: SopDaq

tlhob peHruS:

> How far may we go in constructing new words from the existing roots?

Every time you ask this question, the answer is the same: make noun-noun
compounds as long as the result is very obvious and likely to be a lexicalized
word.  Do NOT make verb compounds, or seperate word elements.

>  Recently I have seen {paqghom} for "library" with no negative comments
> following.

That's because it's a noun compound, and was fairly obvious in the
accompanying context.

> We know that {QongDaq} is canon for "bed."

That's right.  We know that because *Okrand* told us.

> May I use {SopDaq}
> for "dining table"?

No.

> How about {ghItlhDaq} for "escritoire"?

I suppose that's stuffy-talk for "desk."  No.  {ghItlh} *is* a noun, meaning
"manuscript," but what's a "manuscript-place"?  Doesn't seem to likely to
mean.  Besides, that's not what you mean.  You're talking about the *verb*
{ghItlh} and that's just not allowed.

I'll still be here in three months when you ask this question again.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level