tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 11 15:11:55 1997

RE: KLBC: Axioms

jatlh qarleS:

> >> "Many words, many lies"
> >> law' mu'mey, law' neptaH
> >
> >{law'} is a verb.  The original is made up of two noun phrases, not
complete

> >sentences.  We don't have a word for "lie (n)."  Who lies a lot?  Is this
> >advice by the author?
> >
> >mu'mey law' tIjatlh 'ej yInepqu'
> >Say many words, and lie a lot.
>
> SuStel , I think the Author meant that someone who "speaks many words" may
be
> using those words to cover up the truth, therefore is lying.  So the
original
> phrase should be "If you say many words, you cover many lies."

Oh, well that's easy!

mu'mey law' Dajatlhchugh, bIneptaH 'e' yISo'moH.
If you say many words, you cause to hide that you continuously lie.

> Qapla' ghojmohwI'nes (how's that?)

{-neS} can only go on a verb.  It is the Type 8 verb suffix.  Once you use
{-wI'} on a verb (which is Type 9), the word becomes a noun, and you cannot
put {-neS} on it.

If you want to indicate honor in your statement, look for a verb to use.  An
example: {Qapla' DachavneSjaj}  Personally, I think that shouting {Qapla'} is
usually honor enough, or you can use {Hovmey Davan} from TKW.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level