tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 09 14:47:38 1997

RE: KLBC: Hello!

On Wednesday, April 09, 1997 7:50 AM, [email protected] on behalf of Mark
Beal wrote:

> >yIjeQ!  rejmorgh DaDataH!
>
> Hay! I'm still learning! You can't expect me to be 100% confident if I know
I'm wrong! :)

Ah, but you understood me, right?

> OK, I thought that I'd try the same sentence again. I've read what was said
about it, and I'm going to try and do it myself, with out copying what was
written:-

> While walking to the river -- they stoped for lunch.
>
> bIQtIqDaq yIttaHvIS chaH,
> (To the river they were walking)
> While walking to the river

It's not really "to the river they were walking."  {bIQtIqDaq} means "to the
river."  {yIttaHvIS} is made up of {yIt} "walk," {-taH} "continuously," and
{-vIS} "while."  Therefore, {yIttaHvIS} is "while they were walking
continuously."  It just so happens that you are not allowed to use {-vIS}
without also using {-taH}.

> megh luSopmeH mev
> (Lunch they stoped in order to eat)
> they stoped to eat lunch

Why are you writing Yoda translations?  This is two phrases: {megh luSopmeH}
"in order that they eat lunch," and {mev} "they stopped."

> May the Force be with you.
>
> may the force continue with you..
>
> I hope the force continues with you.
>
> Hmmm, I can't seem to translate this. :-/

This has been done a number of times.  I suggest you look through the archives
for the appropriate threads.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian