tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 09 14:43:59 1997

RE: KLBC: Need Help

On Wednesday, April 09, 1997 2:00 AM, [email protected] on behalf of Atlan
Irknium (Benoit Houle) wrote:

> >chaH DajangmeH tIyu'.
> >In order to answer them, question them.
>
> That is the general meaning i was trying to get across altought i would have
> like a more subtle way to put it... (Well probably Klingon Language isn't
> made for sublety }}:-) )

No, in fact, it isn't.  The key here is thinking in verbs, not nouns.  I don't
know about your native language (what is it?), but English is noun-centric.
This creates problems when people try translating from one to the other.

> >This is a purpose clause, {chaH DajangmeH} "in order that you answer them,"

> >and the main sentence, {tIyu'} "question them!"
>
> What do you mean by a purpose clause... English is my second Language [and
> hopefully Klingon with become my third }};-) ]

Purpose clauses are explained in TKD section 6.2.4.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level