tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 08 01:27:54 1997

RE: BabelCon 2

On Monday, April 07, 1997 11:36 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Bill
Willmerdinger wrote:

> As part of his slavery, we asked him a few easy questions regarding the
> language (well, okay, *I* asked him questions, the others just enjoyed
> themselves).  In actuality, we considerably exceeded his required time
> of service, but he was having as much fun as we were and nobody noticed.

Marc Okrand a willing slave!?!?  Wow!!!!

> First, I asked him about {toQDuj}, which is given as "Bird of Prey
> (vessel)".  According to Marc, a {toQ} is a Klingon avian analogous to a
> Terran bird of prey.  {toQ} does not *literally* mean "bird of prey",
> it's merely one type of creature which exhibits characteristics similar
> to that gouping of Terran birds.

heh . . . not that we know what any of these creatues that we have names for
look like, except {targh}.  I'll bet we also have the name of whatever Kruge's
pet is, but we don't know which one it is.

A few days ago, I was wondering how to tell how far it is from my house to
Sagamore Hill.  I don't know the mileage by roads, but I could easily look at
a map.  I was wondering how to translate "as the crow flies."  I was
considering using {Qa'Hom}, since it's translated "titmouse," (though I doubt
a {Qa'Hom} can fly, it would've been a joke) but now I can use {toQ}!

> Regarding the words which appear on MSN, Marc has this to say.  He
> provided MSN with a list of around 400 Klingon words and their English
> translations, and recorded a DAT with the proper pronunciation of each.
> He did *NOT* write the additional explanations.

I KNEW IT!!!!!  I don't have to accept {qIm} as transitive!!!!!  Yes!!!!!!!
{{:-)

> I specifically
> mentioned the calendar words, where the expanded definitions give things
> like "7 Earth days", and he said that he had NOT done that.

Great!

> [...] I had needed
> some technobable once and created "inverter" by putting {-moH} and
> {-wI'} on {yoy}"be upside down", which Marc said was perfect.

Not that I've ever encountered the need for the word "inverter" . . .

> We asked him about the audio version of TKW, and he said that he hasn't
> heard it yet (!) but he wasn't directly involved with the production.
> He had recorded a tape with the proper pronunciations of the phrases,
> but was not on hand to coach Michael Dorn or Roxanne Biggs-Dawson.

Wow!  Then they did a fabulous job!

> Finally, we discussed his new book.  (Ah-hah!  I can see the drool from
> here....  Wipe that off your monitor!)

Don't be insulting!  (My drool is dripping onto the floor, not the monitor!)

> Yes, there is a new book.  It is
> scheduled for release in the fall.  It will NOT be another TKW, more
> like another full-length addendum to TKD; Marc said to think of it as
> "the Klingon they didn't teach you in school."  He wouldn't go into any
> detail, but said it will have quite a bit of new vocabulary and grammar,
> and that some people will wish to kill him for what he's doing.  I
> gather he's going to be difficult just for the sake of being difficult.

I'm sure I'll be one of them.  But it sounds cool.  Maybe it'll be a sort of
"TKD taught you formal grammatical rules, now learn how it's REALLY used!"
That would be fantastic.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian