tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 07 19:27:22 1997

Re: KLINGON LANGUAGE

>Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 11:20:26 -0800 (PST)
>From: Marian Schwartz <[email protected]>
>
>ghItlh SuStel
>>How do you pronounce that?  Do you actually say a glottal stop, and then a
>>{q}?  That's kinda hard without a vowel in there!
>
>I can't remember off the top of my head, but I seem to recall some new word
>listed in HolQeD 5.4 that has a part spelled <consonant-'-consonant.>  You're
>right, Okrand isn't always consistent.

Don't do that.  Remember the story of 'I'.  If the word exists (I can't
find it), cite the source.  Preferably a little more specifically.

I suppose a word like "chaw'mey" has consonant-'-consonant, if it comes to
that.  But that's because of the way Klingon syllables are constructed (and
leading some to choose to characterize "chaw'" as a consonant-diphthong-'
and not consonant-vowel-consonant-'.  And I DON'T CARE which description
you use, that's another battle I don't want to fight again).

~mark

Back to archive top level