tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 04 19:03:14 1997

RE: KLBC: Practicing...

jatlh mIqIraH:

> Here's a question... how would one say, "I have nothing to say?"
> Perhaps:
>
> pagh QIch vIghaj.
> I posess no vocal sounds.
>
> But that isn't at all what I meant to say!

No, it isn't.

> Maybe it would simply be:
>
> jIjatlhbe'.
> I don't speak.

No, you might have something to say, but choose not to.

How about

pagh vIjatlhlaH.
I can say nothing.

This is just a bit different than the original, and it obviously won't mean
that you are incapable of speech.  Or how about turning it around entirely?

nuq vIjatlhnIS?
What do I need to say?

Sounds a bit rhetorical, though.

pagh vIjatlhlaHbogh vISov.
I know nothing which I can say.

I like that one.

> That would work fine, but it seems a bit ambiguous.  I was planning on
> writing, "I don't have anything to say, but I'm practicing my Klingon
> anyway."

Then you can just add a bit:

pagh vIjatlhlaHbogh vISov 'ach tlhIngan Hol vIqeqtaH 'e' vImevbe'.
I know nothing which I can say, but I don't stop that I am practicing Klingon.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level