tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 02 20:53:12 1997

RE: DaHar Master

>From my research and the input from contributers on the KLI listserv, I
think
I've come up with a preliminary, and much better, definition of DaHar
Master
and it's role in Klingon society

DaHar Master (daHar pIn'a') (pronounced dah-HAWRR pind-AW)

A respected Klingon tittles of combat skill and acmen achieved by many of
the
more illustrious Klingon Warriors (Koloth, Kang, and Kor).  The function of
the daHar pln'a' in Klingon society is manifold.  They are the
warrior-bards
of the empire,  retelling stories and singing songs of great victories,
warriors, and events.  They also act as mentor and teacher of the great
Klingon martial arts moQbara' ("Mokbara") and tonSaw' ("Tonsaw").

Up to here I agree with you.

(note: Mokbara may be equivalent to karate, ju-do, kung-fu, or other forms
of
unarmed combat. Tonsaw may be related to kendo, which is samurai sword
fighting.), and provide consulorship to leaders.  In this way, they are one
of the most respected members of Klingon society.

Here is were we part.  [tonSaw'] has very specifically been defined as
"Klingon fighting"  I don't recall any instances were it was qualified with
use of a sword only.  Kendo is very specifically use of a mock sword
(rattan) with very specific rules.  It's origins are different but it was
still devised as a way of practicing without causing the damage a real
katana would cause.  I've never seen an instance were Klingons
(Federationized Worf excluded) were fighting with "mock" weapons.  It
doesn't seem like a very Klingon thing to do.

[moQbara'] was directly equated with a very poor rendition of Yang style
Tai Chi on one of the episodes of TNG.  My impression was that it was that
*specific* style characterized by slow movements, similar to the so-called
"internal" styles (Tai Chi).  From what we saw of [moQbara'] it bears no
resemblance to judo, hard styles of kung fu, or especially karate.

In relation to Terran martial arts, the DAHAR MASTER represents the role of
`sensei', or teacher.  He is the dispenser of training, knowledge, and the
one who passes on the great stories of the past.  Klingon society is rich
in
oral tradition, and the DAHAR MASTER plays a crucial role.

This sounds fine.  However I'd like to think that Klingons, with brevity in
mind, would not use the rather long term [DaHar pIn'a'] but would shorten
it to simply [DaHar].  Also the only evidence that [DaHar] and [pIn'a'] are
used together are in a Terran's mumbling that is half [tlhIngan Hol] and
half English, not very likely to be an accurate translation.

Finally, a DAHAR MASTER, is much like a Terran `knight'.  It con only be
conferred upon a Klingon who has shown they are a true master of the
Klingon
way of life by reaching old age, showing skill and acumen in combat, and
maintanence of a strict code of honor.  The tittle is conferred only by the
Chancellor, and presented by the Empreror.

Interesting but seems like you're *creating* canon here.  What episodes
have indicated that this title is only conferred by the Chancellor and
presented by the Emperor?  Actually I'm not very fond of the comparison to
a 'knight', seems more like it should be compared to 'sensei' or 'sifu'.
 That's probably just my preference for the Oriental although the European
'knight' always brings to mind a sense of religious zeal that I don't
particularly care for.

HetaQ

Back to archive top level