tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 30 08:49:04 1996

data man

DloraH wrote in reponse to the following:

>>Remember, it was originally "Mr. Data"
that I was trying to create.

>civilian 'Mr.' or navy 'Mr.'?

>in STNG when addressing Data as 'Mr.
Data' it is a navy term used in place
>of rank.

>something for thought.

The term Mister is the same whether a
person is Navy or Civilian.  Mister is a
term of respect.  It is not used in place
of rank.  Data, and other one-name only
beings, would, in Star Fleet, have several
ways of being addressed.  Data for
instance can be referred to as: Data, Mr.
Data, or Commander Data.

I know this has little to do with
tlhIngan-Hol but I had to point out the
the Term Mr. is the same whether civilian
or Navy.

However I will give this point:  In the
Navy the term Mister has a tradition for
giving respect no matter the sex of the
individual.  When visitors to a ship are
being addressed some women have been taken
aback when they are referred to as Mister.
 However it is just the Navy's way of
extending a tradition further.  It stems
from the Ancient superstition of having
women onboard a ship.  This was many of
the world's Navies way of side stepping
this superstition by calling all aboard
ship Mister.  This way maybe the fates
will be tricked into believing they were
men and leave the ship alone.

Enough of this, back to our regular
scheduled mailing list.......

Qapla'