tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 28 08:59:13 1996

Re: KLBC question

At 01:53 PM 9/3/96 -0700, Dark Viper wrote:
>At 05:33 AM 9/3/96 -0700, dpNoll wrote:
>>
>>> Klingon doesn't make their words for races do double-duty like English
>>> sometimes does (you wouldn't call a Frenchman a French, would you?)
>>
>>*Frog* *France*ngan pong vay'   ;)
>>Seghmey vItIchbe'
>>(Hivqa' "pong")
>
>nargh *Frog* tIch nuqDaqpu'? Sovlu''a'? qej 'oH!

And this is a classic example of why I request that you include the English
translation of your text when you post under KLBC...

I can't understand this first sentence.  <nuqDaq> is a question word meaning
"where".  I have no idea in the world why you put -pu' on it... -pu' on a
noun means "plural (things capanle of speech)".  Even if you are talking
about multiple "where"s, you would use -mey... and you most assuredly cannot
use that on <nuqDaq>, which is neither noun nor verb--it is <chuvmey>, and
takes no suffixes.  You seem to be asking "where do the frog-insults
appear", but I hesitate to correct this, not knowing if that is your true
intention.

You other sentences translate to "Does someone/thing know?  It is grouchy."
which are grammatically correct; however, I can't tell you if you got your
intended meaning across, because I don't know what you are trying to say...

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet (Klingon speaker and net junkie!)
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level