tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 27 02:53:23 1996

Re: What prefix to use for "I--us" etc.?

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, William H. Martin wrote:

> charghwI'vo': I can't stand by and watch bad advice.

Yes, I felt a bit daring coming forward with that advice :)

> You'd recast the sentence. Admit it. This is damned awkward even in
> English. Nobody is going to listen to this and not ask you for
> clarification.

I'd say that depends on context. In a group of people are discussing who
should represent them, one might decide he was excellent for the job and
state {maH 'oS jIH} or "I shall represent us", and it would make perfect
sense for me.

On the other hand, he might as well rephrase it to {ghomvam vI'oS} or "I
shall represent this group" which would carry the same meaning, although
it sounds a bit like the speaker is seperating himself from the group.

> > TKD p33 "For such meanings, suffixes (section 4.2.1) and/or pronouns
> > (section 5.1) must be used."
> Great. But he doesn't tell you which prefix to use while you are using

No, even tough I wrote a sentence using a prefix, I'd prefer to using
pronouns all the way. But all in all, I agree that rephrasing is preferable.

DaH rIn jabbI'ID

| Eskil Heyn Olsen     |This signature (send money) contains no (send money) |
|[email protected]|     subliminal (send money) messages (send money).  |

Back to archive top level