tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 24 19:19:03 1996

Re: {wa'DIch} as adverb?

>Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 14:04:37 -0700
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>Skybox trading card S15 says, in part:
>{wa'DIch tlhIngan Dujmey luleghlu'pu'bogh...}, which corresponds to
>the translated phrase "...the first Klingon vessels encountered..."
>I noted the peculiar placement of the word {wa'DIch} and wondered how
>its disagreement with TKD might be explained.

>~mark writes:
>>To me, at least, it seems as likely that this is an indication of ordinals
>>as adverbs.

>As I asked Kenneth Traft, "How so?"  I see no evidence of an adverbial
>"first" in the English translation; the usage is clearly as adjective.

We're both trying to answer the same question: why is "wa'DIch" at the
beginning here?  One answer is that it's an adjective which is misplaced
for reasons unknown ("The first Klingon ships..."), and the other is that
it's an adverb whose translation is clouded ("At first, the Klingon
ships...").  Who's to say who's right?  Well, we know who's to say it, but
he hasn't spoken on the matter.

~mark

Back to archive top level