tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 23 13:58:13 1996

BG - THE LUCKY CAPTAIN - a klingon play

Hello.  I've started working on a play in Klingon.  It's called THE LUCKY
CAPTAIN.  I thought I ought to try and get some feedback on it from the BG
before I go much further, so I can find out just how confused I really am.
 If my Klingon isn't total garbage I'll finish the play and try and find some
people to put it on.  I think it would be great fun at a convention.

Below is the first scene from the play.  It sets up the major plotline of the
story, and introduces two of the four chracters in the play.  And please,
after the BG has shreded me, I welcome other comments as well.  I need
feedback.  Thanks.

HoD Do'

Doq: vajna' ghung la' je
SuD: jupDaj la' je
val: be'Hom val
Qanqor: be'Hom vav

lut 'ay' wa', lut 'ay'Hom wa'
may'na'  Suvlu'pu'.  tachDaq ghom cha' la'.

Doq:  Dunqu'pu' may'vam 'ach wa'leS may' Qob law'may'vam Qob puS.

SuD:  nuq jatlh?  wa'leS Qo'noS maghoSqa' 'ej nuquv qorDu'maj

Doq:  SoHvaD batlh nob qorDu'lIj.  jIHvaD be'nal nob qorDu'wIj.

SuD:  nuq? bISawrup'a'?

Doq:  yIQIpQo'.  not Sawrupqu' loDna'.

SuD:  (HaghtaHvIS) bISawnISqu''a'?

Doq:  bIDoghqa'.  be'Hom vIqIHbe'.

SuD:  'ach bISawqang'a'?

Doq:  'ejDo' vIghajqang.  yo' ra' be'Hom vavoy.  jISawchugh munum 'ej
       Duj chu' vIHev.

SuD:  Duj chu' DaHev'a'?  jIHvaD be'nI' ghaj'a'  ghaH

Doq:  yISagh.  qoH vImojchoH.  qay' puqbe'Daj.

SuD:  qay' nuq?

Doq:  vulqangan DuSaQDaq HaDtaH ghaH.  Huj qechDaj.  mIS yabDaj.
      tlhInganna' ghaH'a'?  'e' HonlaHbe' 'Iv.

SuD:  jIyajbe'

Doq:  batlh ghojbe'. roj HaD.  Suvbe' ghojmoHwI'Daj.  Sutlh. jatlh.
      meQbe'chugh ghojmoHwI'Daj tIqDu' meQlaH'a' tIqDaj?

SuD:  'e' Sov vavDaj.  'e' DaHar'a'?

Doq:  puqbe'DajvaD 'ejDo' mech.  lo'laHbe'mo' be'Hom tlhongnIs vav.

SuD:  DaSawlaHbe'.  DuquvHa'moH tlhogh.

Doq:  chaq bIlugh.  'ach Dujvam chu' ra'DI' DatDaq batlh vItu'.

SuD:  reH lugh charghwI' 'ach bIQap'a'?

Doq:  Qapla' rurbe' be'nal chu'.  vulqanHey gharwI' rurqu' ghaH.  'ach
      loghDaq jIlengtaHchugh 'ej Qo'noSDaq ratlhtaH DuyoywI' Duy' vaj
      qay'be'.

SuD:  batlh ghajbe nab.

Doq:  Suvbogh vaj law' HIghbogh vaj  quv puS 'ach Qap HIghwI' 'ej reH yay
tlha' batlh.

SuD:  (HIvje' pep) 'oy' DaSIQjaj

Doq:  nIteb jIbechbe'.  vavDaj DalIjbe'.

*******************************
** loose translation follows **
*******************************

THE LUCKY CAPTAIN

Dok: a hungry warrior and a commander
Shood: his friend and a commander
Val: a clever girl
Krankor: the girl's father

Act I, Scene I
two commanders meet in a bar after a great battle.

Dok:    this battle was glorious, but tomorrow's
        battle is more dangerous.

Shood:  what are you talking about? we are to
        return to Kronos tomorrow and honored
        by our families

Dok:    your family will give you honor.  my
        family will give me a wife.

Shood:  what? you are ready to marry?

Dok:    do not be stupid.  a man is never ready to
        marry.
Shood:  (laughing) do you *need* to marry?

Dok:    you're being foolish again. I haven't met
        the girl.

Shood:  but you are willing to marry?

Dok:    I am willing to have a star ship.  the girl's
        daddy commands the fleet.  if I marry he
        promotes me and I receive a new ship.

Shood:  you receive a new ship?  does she have a
        sister for me?

Dok:  be serious.  I have not become a fool.  his
        daughter is a problem.

Shood:  what's the problem?

Dok:    she studied at a vulcan school.  her ideas
        are strange. her mind is confused.  Is she
        truly a Klingon?  who cannot doubt it.

Shood:  I don't understand.

Dok:    she does not learn honor. she studies
        peace.  Her teachers do not fight.  They
        negotiate.  They talk.  If her teachers'
        heart do not burn, can hers?

Shood:  and you believe her father knows this?

Dok:    he trades his daughter for a starship.
        because the girl is worthless, the farther
        needs to barter.

Shood:  you cannot marry her.  the marriage
        would dishonor you.

Dok:    perhaps you are right.  but when I
        command this new ship I will find honor
        everywhere.

Shood:  the victor is always right, but will you
        succeed?

Dok:    my new wife does not resemble success.
        She more resembles a vulcan diplomat.
        But if I am traveling in space and my
        defective *ambassador* remains on
        Kronos, then no problem.

Shood:  your plan has no honor

Dok:    the warrior who fights is more honored
        than the warrior who fights dirty, but the
        dirty fighter wins and honor always
        follows victory.

Shood:  (lifting his glass in a toast) may you
        endure the pain.

Dok:    (drinks)  I won't suffer alone.  Do not
        forget the father.

Back to archive top level