tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 18 06:43:51 1996

nIDwIj wa'DIch

 > From: ur-valhalla!netusa1.net!caanders (Alan Anderson)
 > Subject: nIDwIj wa'DIch
 > Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 09:06:40 -0700

 > qob (Bill Willmerdinger) writes:
 >>Are there any other Klingon words that tale [sic] double objects?

Darn typos!

 > Lots of them!  The causation verb suffix {-moH} has given us fits for
 > ages because of this feature.

 > Start with "I drink the ale."  {HIq vItlhutlh}.  No problem.
 > Now add {-moH}: "I cause him to drink the ale."  Suddenly we have two
 > objects, "him" and "ale", for the verb {tlhutlhmoH}.  How do we do it?
 > We now have two answers, and they seem to agree with each other.

Oh, of course, I see it now.  I've even stumbled on that problem.  If I
remember, I totally rephrased what I wanted to say because I couldn't figure
out how else to do it.

 > The {pong} example says the recipient/beneficiary of the naming gets
 > the suffix {-vaD}, which is pretty reasonable, and the name being
 > given is the unmarked "real" object.  The other example, from a recent
 > Skybox card, says {tuQtaHvIS Hem.  ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.} and is
 > translated as "He wears it proudly as a reminder of his heritage."  It
 > works the same way; the recipient/beneficiary of the "remembering" is
 > marked with {-vaD} and the thing being remembered is "the" object.

DaH jIyaj.  I remember being confused by that card when I first read it, but
since I study the language when I have time, I probably forgot all about it.

 > So double-object verbs apparently can have two different things fill
 > the role of "direct" object, depending on whether or not the other
 > object is present.  "I cause him to drink" is {ghaH vItlhutlhmoH}, but
 > "I cause him to drink the ale" is likely {ghaHvaD HIq vItlhutlhmoH}.

I'm no theoretician, I admit that; I work best when I have clear rules to
follow.  Okay, at least I have a way to use double-object verbs that seems
consistant.

|         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj       tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|               Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701               |
|         E-mail: [email protected]   [email protected]         |