tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 12 04:24:48 1996

KLBC: tlhIHvaD jIlIH'egh

----------

<Deborah> 'oH pongwIj'e'.
qaStaHvIS cha' jarmey tlhIngan Hol vIHadtaH.

I recently saw a post that suggested that beginners should not try to
translate, but should make up sentences instead.  jIQochbe'.  The problem was
that I was happily imagining more of Star Trek III in Klingon.  I was too far
along to stop trying, so here is my attempt.  After my translation, you can
read the actual dialog.  I don't know if Vulcans knew any Klingon at that
time, but I reasoned that if they did, they would speak Klingon well.  So, I
tried to go for the meaning rather than an exact translation.

trI'Qal HoD, pabwIj yIlughmoH.

Qugh:  qu'vam HoS vItlhapmeH, chuq nI' jIlengta'.
           nuq jItu':  Human puj, vulqangan loDHom, be' je?
Sa'avik: joHwI', maHeghbe'pu' maH'e'.  lot 'oH Hoqqoqvavm'e' .
             repmeyDaq Qaw''egh yuQvam.
	luj qa'vam ngong.
Qugh:   chenmoHpu' rad'a'  HoS Qaw' 'ej luj'a'?
	qa'vam peng pegh HIja'qu'.
Sa'avik: vISovbe'.
Quch:	naj 'oy' DaSIQbej.
	DatIv vIneH.
	...qara'pu' HIgaghQo'.  (Lots of help from TKD page 67.)
K1:	'ach, qaH, ghos DIvI' 'ejDo.
Qugh:	jol yIchu.

OK, what they REALLY said!

Kruge: 	I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find: a
weakling human, a Vulcan boy and a woman.
Sa'avik:	My lord, we are suvivors of a doomed expedition.  This planet will
destroy itself in hours.  The Genesis experiment is a failure.
Kruge:	A failure, the most powerful destructive force ever created.  You will
tell me the secret of the Genesis torpedo.
Sa'avik: I have no knowledge.
Kruge:   Then I hope pain is something you enjoy. --- I ordered no
interruptions.
K1:	But, sir, federation star ship approaching.
Kruge:	Bring me up.

Well, that's it!

Deborah

Back to archive top level