tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 08 20:23:09 1996

Re: KLBC: klingon lullaby

At 02:51 PM 9/2/96 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>I'm trying to write a Klingon lullaby but am having some trouble.  I couldn't
>find a way to say  "hardships to overcome"  so I had to substitute  "pains to
>endure",  and the last sentence is eluding me completely.  Any help would be
>appreciated.

That is a very good re-cast!  Let's take a look at what you have...

>Now you must go to sleep.
>But morning will come soon and you will wake.
>The new day will bring challenges to conquer and hardships to overcome.(pains
>to endure)
>and the honor this brings to you will be yours to treasure.
>
>DaH yIQong.

This is fine... just note that the English you gave would have been:

        DaH bIQongnIS

but what you have is perfectly acceptable for what you intended.

>tugh  po mojchoHbej ram 'ej vaj bIvemchoH.

EXCELLENT re-cast for "morning will come"!  I like it!  The only thing that
might be wrong with this is *** DEBATE ALERT *** some people don't think
that you can use <vaJ> this way; that it is only used in "if/then"
contstructions.  I'm not going to bounce this, in the absence of
canon/clarification.

>bIcharghmeH qaDmey 'ej bISIQmeH 'oy'mey qem jaj chu'.

Ooh!  Another very nicely done sentence, in the face of complicated structures!

I'd like to point this out to any other beginners who are still paying
attention, as a GREAT example of how to use -meH!  Purpose clauses (verbs
with -meH) can be a bit tricky.  One of the key things to remember is that
the -meH clause has to go BEFORE the noun or verb it modifies... and that it
CAN be used to modify a noun, as you have done here.  You did VERY will
here... there was only one small mistake--you used <'ej> to combine your two
nouns.  Even though they are both modified by a -meH clause, you are still
combining two NOUNS, and still need to use <je>:

        bIcharghmeH qaDmey bISIQmeH 'oy'mey je qem jaj chu'.

Excellent job!  Give yourself a pat or two on the back for this one!

>?

You have done so well so far!  Don't stop now!

I'd go for one more re-cast:

        SoHvaD quv'e' qembogh ghu'vam yItIv.
        "Enjoy this honour which this situation brings you."

That's probably not the best re-casting, but it might give you (or someone
else) someplace to start..

EXCELLENT job here!  majQa'!

QongDaqlutHey DaghItlhlI'.  maj!
tlhIngan lut rurlaw'mo' lutlIj, vItIvqu'lI'.
lutlIj DataHchugh, vaj vIlaDqangbej!
yItaH!
jIloSlI'!

>HoSro'

--tQ

Translations:
------------

You are writing a Klingon lullabye.  Great!
Because what you are writing sounds very Klingon, I am really enjoying it.
If you continue your story, I am certainly willing to read it!
Keep going!
I am waiting!

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet (Klingon speaker and net junkie!)
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level