tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 08 20:21:46 1996

(KLBC) Re: TKD 3rd ed. (was Re: nuqneH)

At 02:05 PM 9/2/96 -0700, Dark Viper wrote:
>At 12:31 PM 9/2/96 -0700, Steven Boozer wrote:
>>nujlIjvo' *John Ordover* qoghDu'Daq ghoSjaj qechlIj'e'!
>
>*John Ordover* 'Iv?
>
>SovHa'ghachwIj [couldn't that word work?] Dayuv.

I don't know who John Ordover is, either, so I am going to just address your
grammar. {{:)

Actaully, that word WOULD work, and I think it would fall under one of those
rare times when you WOULD use -ghach.  Nicely done!

Unforutnately, the idea of "pushing knowledge" probably falls into the
category of an idiom (an idiom, for those who don't know, is something that
you can't translate literraly, because it doean't make any sense, like "It's
raining cats and dogs" to mean "It's raining a LOT").

You would probably need to re-cast this... how about:

        HIghojmoH
        "Teach me"

Notice that I used an imperative here... rather than just say "You push the
limits of my knowledge", I issued a command.  If your sentence were an
imperative, it would have been:

        ?SovHa'ghachwIj yIyuv?

Again, I used the ?? to show that this sentence is not completely
grammatical; it's just an example, to show how to use the imperative prefix,
instead of the regular ones.

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet (Klingon speaker and net junkie!)
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level