tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 08 20:21:40 1996

(KLBC) Re: batlh quv je

At 01:56 PM 9/2/96 -0700, Dark Viper wrote:
>"batlh" "quv" je mu'mey pIm nuq?

Let me addres the grammar, first. :)

The only way I could parse this to make grammatical sense came out to "What
are different the words of <batlh> and <quv>?".  This isn't exactly correct.
<pIm> is not a noun--it is only a verb, meaning "to be diferent".  The only
way I can think of to ask this is to say:

        chay' pIm <batlh> <quv> je mu'mey?
        "How are the words <batlh> and <quv> different?"

If you don't understand why this is, please ask.

>(What is the difference in the words "batlh" and "quv"?)

At this point in time, we don't know of any difference, if you are talking
about the NOUNS.  <batlh> happens to also be an adverbial meaning "with
honour", while <quv> happens to also be a verb meaning "to be honourable",
but the nouns themselves (so far as we know) are completely interchangable.

>--Dark Viper-----------------------------
>'ut 'oH vuv'e'

Unless there is some new canon of which I am not aware, you are using two
verbs as nouns here.

First of all, if there WERE a noun "repect" ?vuv?, the sentence would be:

        'ut ?vuv?

Please note that I used the ??'s around <vuv> to show that my using it as a
noun is grammatically incorrect/questionable.

When you have a verb that means something like "necessary, to be necessary",
the "to be" is included in the meaning... you don't have to use the "to be"
construction with it... in fact, it is incorrect to do so.

Unfortunately, there is not (unless there is new canon which I am not aware
of) a noun ?vuv?, so you would have to re-cast this.  May I recommend:

        latlh vuvlu' net poQ
        "It is requred that one respects another".

Please note that this also uses the verb <vuv> as a *verb*.

>(rInHa')

This means "it is unfinished".  I gather you mean that in respect to your
web-page...

majQa'!

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet (Klingon speaker and net junkie!)
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level