tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 08 20:11:31 1996

Re: -neS (was Re: KLBC)

At 10:22 PM 8/30/96 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
[...]
>Oh, you mean call him "Data" and use {-neS} when you speak to him?  I suppose
>it's possible, if he's your superior.  Even then, it's not required, whereas
>calling oneself "Lord" could be made into a requirement, since it's not an
>established grammatical feature.  Do Klingons have a sense of familiar and
>formal?

That's a good question.  I suspect they do, because of -oy and -neS, but I
also suspect that it isn't as prevalent as it is in English... or Matlz
would have included it in some of the basic speech he gave us.

>Besides, I kind of liked {De'loD}.

I found that hard to understand.  I suspect that it would be more proper to
just say <De'>, and flag it as a name every time... since his name is
"Data"; they just call him "Mr. Data" as they would call John Smith "Mr. Smith".

>SuStel
>Stardate 96665.7

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet (Klingon speaker and net junkie!)
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level