tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 08 20:11:23 1996

Re: KLBC: Thinking and compounding

At 06:05 PM 8/30/96 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>At 10:33 AM 30/8/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>qaSDI' 96-08-30 12:19:56 EDT, jatlh beHwI"av:
>>
>>> <Thinking>
>>>
>>>  jIH jIQubmoHbogh
>>>  jIQub jIHmoHtaHbogh
>>>
>>>  SKI: I think which causes me to be
>>>  SKI: I am which causes me to think
>>
>>*groan*  I am sooo sorry I *ever* tried to do that "I think therefore I am"
>>idea.
>
>It wasn't meant as "I think there for I am", I wanted to se if my {-Hombogh}
>combo would work. Sadly this was the first thing that sprang to mind. Maybe
>{-Hombogh} would be better suited for a different idea.

I'm going to assume you mean -moH, not -Hom, which is a NOUN suffix. {{:)

-moHbogh is perfectly acceptable, in it's proper place.  This, however, is
not a good use of it, because you are trying to translate too litterally.
Here is a better example:

        SuvlI' yaS vIQeHmoHbogh
        "The officer which I caused to be angry is in the process of fighting."

In this case, the -moH makes transitive (able to take an object" the verb
"to be angry".  Normally, you cannot "be angry" something... but, you can
CAUSE to be angry something/one!  That is where you use -moH:

        yaS vIQeHmoH
        "I caused the officer to be angry."

This sentence, like any other, can have -bogh attached to it to make it a
relative clause:

        yaS vIQeHmoHbogh
        "The office which I caused to be angry"

This clause can then be used in a sentence, as I did above.

I'm not sure if you are not understanding -moH, or not understanding
relative clauses.  If it is relative clauses, please ask, because I don't
want to go into those right now (that would get rather involved, and as you
can see, I am trying to catch up on my mail).  I suspect it is -moH, so here
is another example:

        veS vIqaSmoHpu'
        "I caused the war to occur."

Does this help?

>>Sorry if this sounds a bit terse (well, for a human).  I am just worried that
>>this idea is getting out of control.
>
>Please be terse. I can handle it. As I said, it wasn't the idea, but the
>combo that was the point of this exercise...

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this combination.  A
better example would help?

>Qapla'
>
>beHwI"av

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet (Klingon speaker and net junkie!)
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level