tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 08 20:11:07 1996

Re: KLBC: Thinking and compounding

At 10:35 AM 8/30/96 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
[...]
>*groan*  I am sooo sorry I *ever* tried to do that "I think therefore I am"
>idea.  Too many people have misinterpreted my intentions.  I hope you don't
>mind, trI'Qal, but I feel a bit responsible for this one, and would like to
>try to correct my mistake.

Well, I did and I didn't... you an I spoke about that privately on the MUSH.
Re-reading this post after taht conversation, I wasn't quite as ticked. :)

>First off, anyone who remembers my idea of "I think therefore I am," (which I
>will *NOT* repost here) please remember that I was suggesting something to
>illustrate a philosophical concept, not correct grammar.  Kind of like using
>{-ghach} without an intervening verb suffix.  It was not meant to be taken
>too seriously.  Rather, I was hoping a few people would rub their chins
>thoughtfully, and say, "Oh yeah!  Look at that!  Neat!" and then go back to
>speaking grammatically correct Klingon.

This is a prime example of what we talked about on the MUSH, as far as your
"jokes" go, too.  {{:)

[...]
>As far as actually expressing these concepts with *grammatical* Klingon, I
>really have no clear ideas.  There were some good ideas in that thread, and I
>encourage anyone *who wants to read about a poetic and essentially
>ungrammatical* way to say this to look up the "I think therefore I am" thread
>in the Web page archives.  And to save poor trI'Qal, who was not reading the
>list when this thread was going on, the headache of trying to figure out what
>all of this is about, I highly recommend that further discussion of "I think
>therefore I am" not be posted as a KLBC question.

I agree, and I thank you.  I really think that to say this, we need a verb
"to exist".  If I remember my French correctly, the original expresion "I
think, therefore I am" was REALLY "Je crois, <I've forgotten the word for
"therefor"> j'exist." ("I think, therefore I exist").

This goes back, I think to several people's comments on "translations on
translations", and why you should always go back to the original, before you
try to translate something.  This is also another example of how English
uses "to be" WAY too much, and you really should re-cat it, before you
attempt to translate it into tlhIngan Hol.

>Sorry if this sounds a bit terse (well, for a human).  I am just worried that
>this idea is getting out of control.

Heh.  It probably is. {{:)  Ideas on here tend to do that... look at <'I'>
for example...

>SuStel
>Stardate 96664.5

--tQ