tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 04 16:48:33 1996

Re: Star Trek Communicator (was Re: KLBC question)

Steven Boozer wrote:

> We *may* actually have canon for "Star Trek" = {Hov leng}!
>
> "Star Trek Communicator" [The Official Fan Club Magazine] No. 104 (Aug/Sep
> 1995) was a special Klingon issue with section titles translated into
> tlhIngan Hol by, I believe, Marc Okrand (much as he did for the recent BBC
> "Radio Times" magazine). Someone--I forget who--posted the relevant bits
> to this mailing list a year ago. As a service to those who weren't on the
> list at the time, here they are again:
>
>         tlhIngan jabbI'ID le' = Special Klingon Issue

The font used on the cover of the magazine is different that the font used inside the
magazine.  For the record, it actually reads as follows:

	  tlhIngan jabbl'ID le' = Special Klingon Issue
		       ^
>         QumwI' = Communicator          Qumwl' = Communicator
              ^
>         Hov leng De' chu' = Star Trek Update
>         Qu' vu'wI' yaH = Mission Ops
>         De' naw'wI' = Data Access          De' naw'wl' = Data Access
                   ^
>         tojbogh pa' tuHmey = Holodeck Adventures
>         Hov leng QeD = Treknology
>         DIvI' tamey ngo' = Federation Archives
>         ghotpu' tamey = Personnel Files
>                 mayqel Do'rIn = Michael Dorn
>                 raqSan bIQ-DawSon = Roxann Biggs-Dawson
>                 rabe'rIt 'o'raylIy = Robert O'Reilly
>                 mayqel 'anSa'ra = Michael Ansara
>                 jan kalI'qoS = John Colicos
>                 barbara' ma'rIch = Barbara March
>                 ghuwI'nItlh wa'lIS = Gwynyth Walsh
>         Hov leng ngoDHommey = Trekbits
>
> During the follow-up discussion on the list, someone (again, I don't know
> who) posted that s/he had mentioned the transcription of the actor's names
> with Okrand himself at some convention, remarking, "Whoever did this must
> be very familiar with the language."  Okrand chuckled at this, and
> stated that HE was responsible for the text.

Indeed, on Page 3 of "Star Trek Communicator #104" it says...

"A special thanks to Marc Okrand for his Klingon translations."

> If anyone has a copy of this magazine, or can otherwise confirm the above
> story, please let me know and we can get this added to the post-TKD
> vocabulary list on the KLI FTP site.

I corrected a few of the phrases you posted based on the actual text in the magazine
(uh, I do have issue #104 of the Star Trek Communicator by the way).  I am not sure if
my correction are acceptable Klingon or not, I just call it as I see it.

Any other Q's about that particular issue that I might help with??

---
Kargan
qarghan HoD
qIm tera'ngan!
Translated from Klingon:  Attention Earther!

Back to archive top level