tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 02 13:38:52 1996

Star Trek Communicator (was Re: KLBC question)

>>"jav 'Trek' Hov: Hatlh tu'be'" cha'wI' "In".
>
>		        Also, you are talking about a "Trek of the Stars",
>as opposed to "the Star's Trek".  I really don't think you can translate
>"Star Trek" as <"Hov "Trek">, but that is more accurate than what you had.
>
>>B'Elanna
>
>HoD trI'Qal

We *may* actually have canon for "Star Trek" = {Hov leng}!

"Star Trek Communicator" [The Official Fan Club Magazine] No. 104 (Aug/Sep
1995) was a special Klingon issue with section titles translated into
tlhIngan Hol by, I believe, Marc Okrand (much as he did for the recent BBC
"Radio Times" magazine). Someone--I forget who--posted the relevant bits
to this mailing list a year ago. As a service to those who weren't on the
list at the time, here they are again:

        tlhIngan jabbI'ID le' = Special Klingon Issue
        QumwI' = Communicator
          (letters to the editor)
        Hov leng De' chu' = Star Trek Update
          (upcoming episodes/movies)
        Qu' vu'wI' yaH = Mission Ops
          (past episodes/movies)
        De' naw'wI' = Data Access
          (readers' questions answered)
        tojbogh pa' tuHmey = Holodeck Adventures
          (Star Trek publishing)
        Hov leng QeD = Treknology
          (Star Trek "science & technology")
        DIvI' tamey ngo' = Federation Archives
          (Star Trek collectibles)
        ghotpu' tamey = Personnel Files
                mayqel Do'rIn = Michael Dorn
                raqSan bIQ-DawSon = Roxann Biggs-Dawson
                rabe'rIt 'o'raylIy = Robert O'Reilly
                mayqel 'anSa'ra = Michael Ansara
                jan kalI'qoS = John Colicos
                barbara' ma'rIch = Barbara March
                ghuwI'nItlh wa'lIS = Gwynyth Walsh
        Hov leng ngoDHommey = Trekbits

During the follow-up discussion on the list, someone (again, I don't know
who) posted that s/he had mentioned the transcription of the actor's names
with Okrand himself at some convention, remarking, "Whoever did this must
be very familiar with the language."  Okrand chuckled at this, and
stated that HE was responsible for the text.

If anyone has a copy of this magazine, or can otherwise confirm the above
story, please let me know and we can get this added to the post-TKD
vocabulary list on the KLI FTP site.

-- Voragh
(whose archives are extensive, if not completely attributed!)

 Steven L. Boozer              | The fact that an opinion has been widely
 University of Chicago Library | held is no evidence whatever that it is
 [email protected]   | 		      -- Bertrand Russell

Back to archive top level