tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 04 15:05:54 1996

Re: Klingonaase

At 07:53 PM 9/3/96 -0700, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
>- From what I've seen of Klingonaase, it looks far too dissimilar from
>tlhIngan Hol to be a dialect.  It couldn't be a related language.  What's
>more logical reasoning is that there is more than one language spoken on
>Qo'noS that developed separately.  Star Trek's one-language-per-species may
>be what we've seen, but it's really silly on the whole.  If we can manage a
>few hundred or thousand languages on our planet, surely the Klingons in
>their history could have mustered two or three language-families.  ST's
>treatment of language has been so laughable anyway (universal translator,
>ha.  Even if it existed, it's so awfully pervasive; *EVERYone* seems to
>have it, even the Kazons.  And it works better than anything like that
>possibly could.  Male and female are universal constants indeed.)

Yes, but then that means we'll have a Klingonaase Dictionary, a Klingonese
Dictionary, etc. etc. Meaning, the Klingon Language that we know (tlhIngan
Hol) will have lost its popularity and no one will agree on the proper way
to say "It is a good day to die" because we'll all be using different
languages! It also can force us to isolate ourselves on some faraway island
and become an actual Klingon civilization because only in a world-class
population can different dialects and languages exist successfully.

BTW, where did you see this so-called "Klingonaase"? It'd be interesting to
take a peek at what these so-called "Klingons" are up to. Besides, tlhIngan
Hol is the ***CANON*** language.

That's my opinion, anyway.

yIntaH tlhInganpu' teHqu'jaj.

vuvnISqu'lu'