tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 03 19:06:40 1996

Re: KLBC: Introduction Attempt

I'd like to point out this post to all beginners as a GOOD example of the
Klingon Language (and also what I expect to see in a KLBC post!).  batlhro'
wrote simple, complete, and VERY grammatically correct sentences!  Very well
done, batlhro'!  majQa'!

At 10:39 AM 8/29/96 -0700, Mike Rowe wrote:
>Qapla'

'ej SoHvaD je!

'ach Qapla'na' Dachavba' rIntaH!

(although I believe the "only" greeting is <nuqneH>, I am not going to aruge
if you wish success to me. {{;) )

>pongwIj 'oH batlhro''e'

Some people have debated whether saying "My name is blah" should be <pongwIj
'oH "blah"'e'> versus <"blah" 'oH pongwIj>.  Since we don't have any reason
not accept one over the other at this point, what you have is perfectly
fine.  The only thing I could request is that you flag <batlhro'> as a name,
by putting **'s, or ~~'s, or []'s or anything else that will make it stand
out as a name.  Yes, I know your name has a meaning, and that the very
sentence itself states that it is a name, but it is a good habit to get
into--don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that you are WRONG for not doing
this... just that it might make it easier for those who are still learning
to read what you said.

>De'wI'patmey vIpoj 'ej *Hapkido* vIghojmoH

Very nice!  There isn't anything wrong here!  Thank you for "flagging"
"Hapkido" for us!

maj!

De'wI'mey vIghun jIH.
jabbI'IDlIj vIlaDpa', "Hapkido" mu' vIleghpu'be'.
nuq 'oH "Hapkido"'e'?

>cha'maH chorgh tera'ben jIboghpu'

I believe this is, from recent canon, the "proper" way to state your age.
I'm not sure if the -pu' is required, though; in fact, the more I think
about it, the more I am sure that it isn't.  What you are saying is
"Twenty-eight years ago, I had already been born", like you are setting the
scene for a story when you were only a few months/years old.

Of course, not remembering how the canon this came from was worded, I could
be totally off my rocker, here...

cha'maH loS tera'ben jIbogh.
'ach qaSDI wa' Hogh, cha'maH vagh tera'ben jIbogh!

>be'nal vIghajbe' 'ach jInejlI'

I wasn't aware that one "posseses" a wife... well, mebby Klingons TRY to...
but we tlhInganbe' clearly know that it is really the other way around! {{:)

I'm not sure if this is "idomatic" or not, so, unless someone more
knowledgable on such things than I vetos it, I will accept this as okay.

You might have done better to use the verb "to marry", though, especially
since that is one of the very few words Klingon has which ARE gender-specific:

        wej jISaw; be'nal vInejlI'.

wej jInay je, 'ach chaq tugh choH ghu'vam.
pIj wa' loDvaD <<loDnalHey>> vIpong.
nI'qu' ghaH jIH je joj.
jojmaj wInI'Ha'moHchugh, vaj vInaybejqu'!
'ach nI'qu'taHvIS jojmaj, loDnalHey ghaH neH.  {{:(

>--------------translation-----------------
>Success
>
>My name is batlhro'
>
>I analyze computer systems and I teach Hapkido
>
>I am 28 earth years old
>
>I have no wife, however I am searching
>
>-------------------------------
>Hopefully I got it right.

You sure did!  Pat yerself on the back!

>Qapla'
>pIn'a' batlhro'

--tQ

Translations:
------------

And for you also!

Good!

I'm a programmer, myself.
I've never heard of "Hapkido" before.
What is it?

I am 24 years old
But I will be 25 in a week!

I'm not married, but I might be soon.
I often call my BF my "apparent husband".
He lives very far away.
If we can solve teh distance-problem, we will get married.
But until then, he is just "apparent husband".  {{:(

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level