tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 02 18:00:22 1996

Re: KLBC: Hurrah!

On Sun, 1 Sep 1996 16:07:45 -0700 HoD trI'Qal
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >DuSaQ luchegh puqpu'wI'
>

> Well, this is a nice first attempt...
>
> What you have said here, literally is "My children return the school".  It
> sounds like they borrowed it, and are just now returning it.  {{:)

While I've never seen {chegh} used transitively and am not
sure it works that way in Klingon, when I see this
sentence, I interpret it exactly as trI'qal HoD suggests.

> When you are talking about moving about a physical location, and you want to
> say "I am going TO someplace", or some sort of physical motion, you can use
> -Daq on the noun to show that you are going "to" there:
>
>         ?DuSaQDaq checg puqpu'wI'?
>
> I put ??s around this, because I just *know* that the other grammarians are
> gonna jump on me, and say that "going to school" is idomatic, and you can't
> use -Daq there, even though I doubt that your children "go to school" in
> your home.

In this case, I do not live up to your prediction. I think
{DuSaqDaq chegh puqpu'wI'} is a fine sentence. The children
return to school. I have no problem with that.

> So before either of them say anything (I'm not gonna mention
> names, ~mark and charghwI' {{:) {{:) ), I am going to suggest to you that
> you re-cast this.  How about, "My children resume studying at their school":
>
>         DuSaQDajDaq HaDqa' puqpu'wI'

I have no problem with that, either. Sounds fine. It
probably speaks more accurately to the real thought behind
the sentence, though I don't think {chegh} "to return" is
all that idiomatic, since the first step to studying again
at school is returning to that location.

> Please note that I still used -Daq to show that they were doing this at/in
> (the location of) their school.

jIQochbe'chu'.
> >chol poH 'e'
>         ?chol wanI' poH?
>         "The time of this event is drawing near."
>
> I put ??s around this, because this, too, may be "idiomatic" (in fact, I am
> pretty sure it is).  I'm not sure if the idea of a "time approaching" is not
> something found just in English, or if it is "global".  I would suggest
> re-casting this to "Soon this event will occur":
>
>         tugh qaS wanI'vam

MUCH better. maQochqa'ba'.

> Please note that I used the noun suffix -vam on <wanI'> to mean "this
> event".  There is a corresponding suffix, -vetlh, which means "that".
> Possibly, -vetlh could have been used instead of -vam.
> >~Doq
>

> --tQ

charghwI'

Back to archive top level