tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 10 00:39:09 1996

Re: KLBC: Hurrah!

As BG, it is my right and perogative to use anyone's Klingon grammar errors
as an example... and charghwI' goofs up so *rarely* that I couldn't resist
commenting.  However, this was a really common error, so...

I put my response in Klingon, in hopes that our beginning students will use
it as an exercise to practice back-translating from Klingon to English...

At 06:08 PM 9/2/96 -0700, William H. Martin wrote:
[...]
>> >chol poH 'e'
>>         ?chol wanI' poH?
>>         "The time of this event is drawing near."
>>
>> I put ??s around this, because this, too, may be "idiomatic" (in fact, I am
>> pretty sure it is).  I'm not sure if the idea of a "time approaching" is not
>> something found just in English, or if it is "global".  I would suggest
>> re-casting this to "Soon this event will occur":
>>
>>         tugh qaS wanI'vam
>
>MUCH better. maQochqa'ba'.

DaH jImISbej.
mu'meywIj DanaDbej, 'ach <maQochqa'ba'> DaghItlhpu'.
chaq bIghItlhHa'...
chaq <maQoghbe'qa'ba'> DaHech, qar'a'?

>charghwI'

--tQ, who hopes charghwI' will not take offense at her doing this this way...

Translations:
------------

Now I am really confused.
You are definitely praising me, but you wrote "we obviously disagree again".
Perhaps you mis-wrote...
Perhaps you mean "we obviously AGREE again"?

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet (Klingon speaker and net junkie!)
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level