tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 29 14:58:46 1996

Re: KLBC: Shakespear

ja' HurghwI':
>"Have we not heard the chimes at midnight?"
>ramjep *chime*-mey DIQoybe''a'?
>I was not sure how to best translate "chimes." There was nothing even
>remotely close.

I don't think {QoQ} "musical sound" is all *that* remote... :-)

{ramjep QoQmey DIQoybe'pu''a'} can be interpreted two ways.  If {ramjep}
is considered to be a time stamp, it has a meaning very close to the
Shakespearean phrase.  If {ramjep} is considered to be the first noun of
a noun-noun construction, it comes out something like "Have we not heard
the musical sounds of midnight?" or "...midnight's musical sounds?"  The
idea isn't quite the same, but I don't think the difference is important.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level