tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 28 21:36:48 1996

RE: KLBC: Road

November 28, 1996 9:01 AM, jatlh jejQIb:

> I'm naming rooms on DeepSpaceMUSE (dsmuse.binghamton.edu 1701, apologies
> for this shameless plug :) and I was wondering how I should call the
> area that connects one location to another and where people walk over
> or drive over to change their location. I'd be most interested in
> many well-sounding alternatives {{;)

Sounds like you mean {He} "course, route."

> Now for my, obviously error-less :P examples to you all:
> place where warriors travel
> 	pa' lulengbogh SuvwI'pu'
> 	room where fighters travel

Actually, that's "room which fighters travel."  I don't think that really
works.  It doesn't mean "Room in which fighters travel," and this is what you
want.  And here we have . . . "the ship in which I fled" problem!  (See the
FAQ).

> Note: could or should I attach {-Daq} or {-vo'} to {pa'} to make
> clear the action is around/in/at/over/from/to the room?

I don't know that it would help.  You'd get

*{pa'Daq lengbogh SuvwI'pu'} "Fighters who travel in the room," and you are no
longer talking about the room.  I don't believe you can cause a noun with
{-Daq} on it to be considered the object of the verb.

> place over which humanoids walk
>
> 	pa' yItbogh yoqpu'
>
> 	room where humanoids walk
>
> Note:same as above, and is {-pu'} correct, or is {-mey}
> more apporpiate? After all, I'm not sure if all humanoids
> that walk here can actually use language and perhaps
> klingons go for the greatest mean denominator (sp?), so
> declare all {-mey}.

Use {-pu'}.  Which humanoids on the MUSE cannot use language?

> And is it possible to express the difference between
> 'over which' and 'where', the first one giving the location
> a more passive role? Without making 6 subclauses and/or
> sentences I mean.

If you really want to, I suppose you could say {yItmeH pa'} "room for
walking."  Still, I'd just go with the noun {He} if I were you.

> not-sitting place
>
> 	pa' ba'Ha'ghach

That's actually "Room standing-up."  To be avoided.

> location from which you can depart
>
> 	Daqvo' tlheDlaHbogh

Another variation of the old "ship in which I fled" problem.  Avoid.

> You may now look at these sentences and, if you dare,
> offer alternatives {{;) or {DaDubbe'chugh vaj bIHegh!}

vIDub rIntaH.

> On a non-related note, are there regular times people
> are online on the MUSH? If not, it might be a good idea
> to make, say, friday night or saturday night a weekly
> get-together time, so that I don't drop in when exactly
> no-one is present.

qechvam vIparHa'.  'a QaplaHbe'law'.  motlh pupbe' 'ISjajmaj 'e' vIpIH.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level