tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 28 21:36:47 1996

RE: lut

November 28, 1996 12:03 AM, jatlh DloraH:

> for Kahless the unforgettable, I have used  qeylIS lIjlaHHa'
> would putting -laH on the verb make it stative so it could be used as an
> adjective?

Certainly not!  It simply means "be able to <whatever>."  Besides, {-Ha'} must
come immediately after the verb.  To negate a suffix, use {-be'}.

qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbe'bogh vay'.
Kahless whom someone cannot forget.

This seems pretty silly, though.  Usually, when you think you want both {-lu'}
and {-laH} on a verb, you don't.  Sometimes you can get away with using
{vay'}, but {vay'} is a bit more specific.  There is definitely a "someone"
when you use {vay'}.

qeylIS lIjbe'lu'bogh
Kahless whom one does not forget.
Kahless the Unforgettable.