tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 28 21:36:05 1996

RE: KLBC: interrogative punctuation

November 27, 1996 11:01 PM, jatlh Andrew 'Ska' Netherton:

> jIneH,

"I want"?  What do you mean by that?

> 	Realizing that punctuation of tlhIngan Hol is (at best) barely
> understood, I still must ask if it is acceptable to use a question mark
> (?) to show that a sentance is a question, or is there a good way to do it
> contextually (with what, when, etc.)?

I take it that you've read the FAQ?  (Oh, by the way: I've been mis-quoting
its location.  It's at http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.html

> 	SuStel chojang.  Qapla'...

This should be a command.  {SuStel, HIjang!} or {HIjang, SuStel!}

Concerning punctuation: understand that the Romanized transcription system we
use is >>>***NOT***<<< used by Klingons!  It is simply used to represent the
SOUNDS of Klingon.  Without knowing much (if anything) about the ways that
Klingons inflect their sentences, we can use any punctuation we like to
express the sounds.  For example, in the command above, I added a comma
because I hear a pause there.  It's not two words run together into one
phrase.  It could also be punctuated understandably as {SuStel!  HIjang!}.

Use punctuation to clarify what you mean when you write in Klingon.  Since
this writing system is not the real one anyway, what difference does it make?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level