tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 27 13:29:06 1996

Re: KLBC: lut

>Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:54:00 -0800
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>

>November 25, 1996 11:49 PM, jatlh Deborah Kay:

>toH!  DaH jItIv'eghchoH!

Heh... Careful, this is an English idiom.

>> lughbe'bogh vay' vIchoHqangbej.
>
>{-choH} is intransitive.  Make this {lughbe'bogh vay' vIchoHqangmoHbej}.

It is?  I didn't remember that.

>Dalo'chu'ta'chugh, yIchoHmoHbej!

lo'chu'ta'chugh, qatlh choHnISmoH?  lughchugh, qatlh tamlu'nIS?

><vIn> vIghovbe'.  <yIn> bIjatlh 'e' DaHech'a'?
>
>"Kahless the Unforgettable" would be {qeylIS lIjHa'lu'bogh}.  {lIj} is not a
>stative verb, so you can't use it as an adjective.

Heh.  And if it were used as an adjective, you'd expect it to mean
"lIjHa'bogh qeylIS": Kahless with the good memory.

I wonder if -be' wouldn't make more sense than -Ha' here though.  He's
Kahless who is not/cannot be forgotten.  Looks like simple negation.

>> wa' Doch luneH neH.  lujatlhtaH.
>
>Be aware that using {jatlh} in this way is kinda iffy.  It's not neccessarily
>wrong, though.

I didn't really follow it when I ready it at first, actually.  You might
want to be clearer... "wa' Doch luneH neH.  'oH lubuStaH, jatlhtaHvIS", or
just "reH 'oH lubuStaH."  There ought to be something better than Doch.

>> tup lo' vavchaj 'ej Qub.
>
>"Their father uses a minute"?  That's pretty weird.  How about
>
>{qaStaHvIS tup Qub vavchaj}

Yeah.  "lo'" isn't TOO bad, but I don't like it much.  I hassled Nick about
something pretty similar in Hamlet.

>> "tajmeyraj boSuv 'e' vIghojmoHbe''a'?"
>
>Ick.  You're assuming {ghojmoH} is a seperate verb from {ghoj}.  I read this
>as "Did I not cause that you fight your knives to learn?"  I've found that one
>can always reword {ghojmoH} into something legal:
>
>{tajraj bolo'meH 'ej SuSuvmeH SaghojmoHbe''a'?}

There was a huge debate on this a long time ago, I think.  Not so much on
making ghojmoH a separate verb; it's the dreaded double-object problem.  I
think I came down on the side of supporting "puqpu'vaD yInQeD vIghojmoH"
for "I teach the children Biology."  Check the archives for my arguments,
because I would have to refresh my memory. :)

>> "HIja', joHwI'," jang velqa.
>> "ngoQ pIQijmeH, jIjatlh neH pe'lora.
>
>Ooh, double-object heaven!  Use {-vaD} (that's what it's there for!):

Hah.  This isn't the double-object problem.  Kids today... The real problem
comes in as above, when you add -moH to an already transitive verb.

~mark

Back to archive top level