tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 25 15:59:38 1996

RE: KLBC: in order to live

jatlh may'qal ro':

>  yInmeH tuqmey pat  lo'ta' tlhInganpu' tIQ
>  DaHjaj taHtaH tuqmey pat
>
>   In order to live ancient Klingons used a system of Clans.
>  This system of Clans endures today.

Hmmm . . . I wonder if saying {tlhInganpu' tIQ} means that the Klingons who
used the system were ancient at the time . . .

There's no reason to use the {-ta'} suffix.  The system was not completed.  In
fact, your next sentence says it is still in use.  Say rather {lo'taH}.
Remember that the sentence can still be read in the past tense.

yInmeH tuqmey pat lo'taH tlhInganpu' tIQ.
DaHjaj taHtaH tuqmey pat.

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96903.5