tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 21 20:33:39 1996

Re: Engishization of Klingon (Was: RE: KLBC a phrase about Honor)

>Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 19:31:23 -0800
>From: "Donald E. Vick" <[email protected]>
>
>> I count 32 separate phonemes (the consonants and vowels, the "double
>> vowels" and the combination "rgh").  If my math is correct, you'd need
>> 4,619 syllabic characters to represent all the possible C-V-C
>> combinations.  Seems kind of daunting to me.
>     Ok, maybe not. :)  But you want efficient?  How about the characters
>representing whole affixes?  Hmmmmm... <goes off and counts> that's 90 symbols.
>Oh well, we'll see.

Ninety's not too many for a reasonable writing system, even if we don't go
into the hundreds/thousands of Chinese and related scripts.  And if it's
not one for every CVC by CV and final-C separately it's manageable, etc.
It could happen.

~mark

Back to archive top level