tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 20 15:01:08 1996

RE: KLBC:loDDoq-HebrI' Hol

jatlh loDDoq:

>  why?
>  I mean,the main idea in this forum is to develop and learn the klingon
>  language.
>  I'm not trying to develop a all new language but why not trying to invent
and
>  find new ways to develop tlhInan Hol?and if we can't do that than what is
the
>  point?

I'll bet this is in the FAQ, I suggest you look it up.
<http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/faq.html>

The idea of the mailing list is not to *develop* the Klingon language, but
rather to study, practice, and discuss it.  Klingon doesn't only exist on this
list.  There are lots of people out there who don't read this list at all.  I
met one two days ago on AOL who is the designated linguist for his Klingon fan
club.  How could he have possibly known your made-up word?

And from the point of view of our fictional Klingons, why should they have a
word for "Hebrew"?  (Seriously, ~mark!)  I doubt they encounter it very often.
 If they *really* needed to say it, they'd just say "Hebrew."  In fact, if the
word doesn't exist in the language already, then Klingons *probably* don't
have a word for it.  (There are a few notable exceptions which Marc Okrand
occasionally addresses.  For example, we're all hoping that he reveals the
word for "table."  But until that happens, you can't go and say "This will be
the word: ------."  What gives you the authority to add to Okrand's language?
Why should we accept your word "gloop" and not my word "gleep"?

Besides, it's probably best that you actually learn to use the language *in
the first place*, before you go trying to change it.

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96889.6

Back to archive top level