tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 19 20:08:05 1996

KLBC Syntax - I'm Lost

Donald E. Vick said:

>> You also said:
>> That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
>> muHoHbe'wI' muHoSmoHbej
>> Which makes sense and in an order I understand.
>     Actually, I believe that this was mine, and it's wrong.  The word order
>should be reversed.  You probably picked this up when SuStel quoted it to
>correct me.

Why is this wrong. It looks fine and makes sense????????????
Okay, Purpose clauses come first, relative clause act as a noun and as such
comes where the noun should object or subject, subordinate are variable
(speaker preference).  I'm not a student of languages but the above appears
to me as a complex (compound) sentence. So why is it backwards. I'm sure I'm
missing something, if not are we putting things backwards just on accound of?

Ken
[email protected]
more lost than ever

Back to archive top level