tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 19 15:16:25 1996

RE: KLBC: Statements for book

jatlh may'qal ro':

>  Klingon Sparring Traditions:
>  When ghojwI'pu' are ready to qeq SuvmeH (fighting for the purpose of
>  practice) the DevwI' (one who leads/goes before) makes the following
>  statement:
>       choSuvrup'a'
>  This means "Are you prepared to fight me?"
>  The tlha'wI' ( one who follows/comes after) then issues the following reply
>  when ready:
>       qaSuvrup
>  This means "I am prepared to fight you!"  Immediatly after this reply is
>  issued SuvlI' (fighting) begins.

Try to avoid using Klingon and English in the same sentences.  Pick a language
and use it.  The grammar is too incompatible to squish together.  For example,
you can't really say "ready to qeq SuvmeH."  Either say the whole thing in
English, or say the whole thing in Klingon.

Who's your target audience?  English speakers?  Some of your Klingon is useful
the words {ghojwI'pu'}, {DevwI'}, and {tlha'wI'} all work okay, because they
are nouns in both Klingon and English.  But {SuvlI'} is a verb which means "in
the process of fighting," and is not a noun as you've used it here!

The spots where you have shown what someone is saying are fine.  You have them
say a complete Klingon sentence, and then translate it.  The only suggestion I
have is that you might mean {tuSuvrup'a'} instead of {choSuvrup'a'}, although
your context is a little vague.

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96886.9