tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 19 15:16:25 1996

RE: KLBC: Quotes

jatlh T'Lark:

>  > HoSmaj ghurmoH qay'bogh wanI' 'ach nuHoHta'be'bogh wanI'.
>  > I don't like this as much.

>  "An occurrence which is a problem increases our strength but an
>  occurrence which
>  has not killed us."  nuqjatlh?

"An event which is a problem but which has not killed us increases our
strength."

This is a very difficult sentence to follow, but there is precedent for
putting {-bogh} clauses together like this in TKW (page 50 -- I finally
indexed it!): {quv Hutlh HoHbogh tlhIngan 'ach qabDaj 'angbe'bogh.} "The
Klingon who kills without showing his face has no honor."

Still, I'd avoid this kind of thing.  It's very confusing!

>  How about:
>  HoSmaj ghurmoH nuHoHbe'bogh ghu'.

maj.  I still {wanI'} better, though.  A situation doesn't kill, an event
does.

>  But I do rather like:
>  HoSmaj ghurmoH nuHoHbe'wI'.
>  Do we know for sure that a verb can't take a pronominal prefix and {-wI'}
at
>  the
>  same time?

I don't know.  Based on ~mark's suspicion, though, I'd avoid using this sort
of thing until we know for sure.

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96886.8