tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 18 15:31:46 1996

RE: pIqaDqoq (was: diphthongs)

jatlh ~mark:

>  (My
>  personal excuse for our method then becomes: well, this is a simplified
>  alphabetical system for offworlders and certain restricted environments
>  that occasionally crop up, like the way Japanese is occasionally written
>  entirely in kana in telegrams, even though that's not the right way to
>  write it [and is hard to read for natives].  Note that I said MY excuse; I
>  think it's a good one and it leaves plenty of doors open, but it has no
>  official standing).

Hee hee!  You weren't around when a bunch of us were trying to read pIqaDqoq
off of people's T-shirts at qep'a' wejDIch, were you?  I know ghunchu'wI' was,
as well as Qob and lo'rel, and, I think, janSIy.  What a struggle!  We really
had to work it out, letter by letter!  "That's a {gh}!  I know that!  And
that's . . . ummm . . . a {q}?  No, a {Q}?  I can't tell them apart . . ."

The point is, few of us can read it anyway, so I for one will be glad if the
real thing ever gets done!  {{:-)

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96884.2