tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 17 08:52:31 1996

Re: pIqaDqoq (was: diphthongs)

Denny Shortliffe writes:
>The fact that Okuda arranges characters on his backdrops so they 'look
>pretty' is irrelevant.  That alone does not invalidate the use of the
>script system.

My point is that a one-for-one mapping of tlhIngan Hol sounds to symbols
is not known to be the way "written Klingon" works.  Our "pIqaD" character
set is just a fancy way to represent the "official" transcription; it's
not meant to be "real" Klingon script.

>Perhaps you could define what you think the word 'canon'
>means; perhaps that would clarify what you mean.  My dictionary, a 1968
>Webster's, contains no definition that approximates your usage.  The
>closest is "a law or rule"; there is none similar to "legitimacy".

The specific meaning I have in mind is "an established principle; a basis
for judgment; a standard or criterion."  We use published materials as a
basis for what we do.  We indulge in the fantasy that we are studying a
real language and culture, not creating one.  Our concept of "canon" is
based on the *simulation* of a living language by a linguist and the use
[or misuse] of that language by a motion picture production company in the
*simulation* of a real culture.  The KLI's current policy is that it does
not add to the body of work that is considered "canon" tlhIngan Hol.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level