tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 16 22:44:25 1996

RE: KLBC May you suceed with your work.

jatlh Ken N.:

>  >Qu'lIjvaD bIQapjaj.
>
>  Good but it looses what I'm triying to say. May your project (work) be
>  sucessful. May you complete your work.  etc...

Does it really lose anything?  I don't think so.  It just deals with the
concept differently than English does.

If you like, here's another idea:

Qu'lIj DarInmoHchu'jaj.
May you finish your task perfectly.

>  >bIvumchu'jaj!
>  >May you work perfectly!
>
>  Okay??????? I don't understand this reference.

Why not?  Remember, you're not necessarily trying to translate word for word;
you need to communicate as efficiently as possible.  This may require choosing
a different way to say things.

>  >Qapla'!
>  >Success!
>
>  I like it and have used it but here I'm tring to let work (I think) be the
>  subject (again I think). Should I have said:
>  Qapjaj Qu'lIj

This works grammatically, of course, but it's letting {Qu'} do all the work.
It's a very passive thing to say.  In Klingon, you should be aggressive.

There's no reason to make {Qu'} the subject, if it works better somewhere
else.  Don't force yourself down this path without reason.

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96879.5

Back to archive top level