tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 15 13:43:11 1996

Re: RE: (KLBC) Sayu'

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:27:57 -0800 David Trimboli
<[email protected]> wrote:

> jatlh HurghwI':
> >  pabwIj lughmoHlaH SuStel neH, 'ach mujanglaH Hoch. wa'maH wa' Hu'
> >  QochDu'
> >  vIbuSpu'vIS mujangbe' Hoch.
> >       ^^^^^^
> >  KLBC-How do I say "after?" Can I use this? "While I had already done it?"
>
> {-DI'} is the usual method.  "After (as soon as)  I returned, I sat."
> {jIcheghDI', jIba'}.

A little more precisely, a good way to say "after" is with the
{-pu'DI'} combination. Going back to the original example:

wa'maH wa'Hu' QuchDu' vIbuSpu'DI' mujang pagh.

> I'm going to recast your sentence as follows:
>
> wa'maH wa' Hu' QuchDu' vIqeltaHvIS mujang pagh

maj. mu'mey DawIvchu'ta' 'ach loQ DajatlhHa'. He said he wanted
to talk about "AFTER", as in "11 days ago, after I had talked
about foreheads, nobody answered me." Not "11 days ago, while I
talked about foreheads, nobody answered me."

Hmm. But what he probably wants is "Since 11 days ago when I
talked about foreheads, nobody answered me."

wa'maH wa'Hu' QuchDu' vIqel. wej vIjanglu'. SSSSSSSSSSSSS...

Anyway, to answer the original question, no, you can't use
{-pu'vIS}. {-vIS} needs {-taH} and nothing but {-taH}. Get used
to it.

> Nobody answered me while I was considering foreheads 11 days ago.

That doesn't feel to me like it maps the original idea very
well. Do you like mine or do you think it could use more tuning
yet?

> SuStel
> BG
> Stardate 96870.5