tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 15 06:09:18 1996

Re: <K'>vaD ghItlhlu''a'?

ja' charghwI':
>...I'd like to point out the one and only
>exception to your rules that I've found in an Okrandian
>canonical source:
>
>janluq pIqarD HoD -- as noted in: HolQeD v5n3p15
>           ^^

I really, really, really dislike this transliteration.  It's not only
phonologically aberrant, it's *wrong*!  Listen to Patrick Stewart as
he speaks the name of his character -- that "r" is unnecessary, and
I think the first syllable would be *much* better as /Son-/ or /San-/.
The name isn't "John-Luke", it's "Jean-luc".

Besides, {San luq pIqaD} means "Okay, fate, we challenge you." :)
Wouldn't you think that's what Klingons hear when Picard introduces
himself?  I know *I* think of disaster when I hear Kruge's name.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level