tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 15 06:15:12 1996

Reply for KAG ship linguists

 > There have been a few requests of this nature lately.  I don't know
 > which fleet is mobilizing with what intent, but tlhIngan maHmo'
 > jIQaHqang.

I don't think the Fleets are mobilizing; I haven't heard of any new wars
(more's the pity).  <g>

 > I am ship's linguist aboard the IKV Fek'lhr's Fury in the Darkfire
 > fleet and I smile a challenge to all my newly appointed colleagues.

rut Ho'Du'lIj Da'ang, 'ach bIchopnISchugh, pe'vIl yIchop!

(Hmmm... that looks better than I thought it would for a spur-of-the-moment
translation.  Recognize the source?)

 > Don't force them to learn it.  Make them want to learn it.  You'll
 > frustrate yourself into quitting your post if you try to teach proper
 > tlhIngan Hol to people who are really just interested in yelling
 > unintelligibly while wearing their costumes.

I agree!  Among my multiple foreheads (Klingons do NOT wear hats!) I'm Ship's
Linguist (by default, unfortunately).  I've been running classes at meetings,
and I try to use humor as bait.

 > Most KAGsters will happily spend $15 on a uniform pin or a bottle of
 > liquid latex for their costumes.

The understatement of the century!

 > Accustom them to the sounds of the language.  Talk to them, yell at
 > them, swear at them.  Teach them to swear at each other and to at least
 > cry "lu' HoD!"  Impress them with what Klingon can do, but then slow
 > down and give them a place to start.

Hmm... I hadn't thought of the "Yes, Captain" bit.  I wonder if I can convince
my people to respond to orders with {qaH, lu' qaH}?

 > Think of phrases that can be used a lot, even if they are silly ship
 > in-jokes. Make sure the grammar is correct and then teach them to your
 > crew. Once they learn vocabulary, they can build around these
 > grammatical structures they already know.

Additional suggestions: In the ship's newsletter (you do have one, right?)
have "Klingon phrases of the month".  Here again, in jokes and humor work
well.  Tie them in to something your ship is doing.  When I took over the ship
from my former CO, the phrases were {qaSon, qaH} and {Dochvam yISon, lom!}

At our last PBS membership drive, I had a sign in front of me that read
{*WXXI* DarI'mo' qatlho'.  maHVaD Huch 'ar Dalay'?}, which (loosely) is what
they want us to answer the phones with in English.

Heck even if all you teach them at first are phrases like {naDev HIghoS!},
it's IMPRESSIVE when they come running at a con!

Qov, I like your idea about labeling your house; I'm going to do that as soon
as I have a few spare hours.  I'm also going to make a bunch of cards up to
take to meetings and put on things - maybe make a game of it.  ("Okay, crew,
find the {noSvagh}.  Now, *USE IT*!!!")

|         la' Qob sutai-qutvaj       tlhIngan wo' Duj quttaj ra'wI'     |
| Qojbogh tlhIngan ghom, maS Hurgh yo', *Northern* jogh, jogh boQDu''a' |
|                  === tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI' ===                  |
|               Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701               |
|         E-mail: [email protected]   [email protected]         |