tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 14 18:26:48 1996

RE: Using -Daq (was RE: KLBC: Translation)

jatlh voragh:

>  >Only the three words {pa'} (only in the sense of "thereabouts"), {naDev},
>  and
>  >{Dat} have the location built-in and therefore cannot use {-Daq}.  So,
yes,
>  >{DaqDaq} is a legitimate word.
>
>  "Cannot" is too strong. "Need not" would be more apt.

TKD p. 27: "Unlike other nouns, these three words are never followed by the
locative suffix."

>  In a bar, the visiting Terran hears a commotion and asks his Klingon
escort:
>  	pa'Daq qaStaH nuq
>  	What's happening over there?  (CK)

Yes, I had forgotten this example.  I, of course, believe it is simply an
error.

>  And, in a related usage, you can use -vo' with naDev:

This is quite true, and I never said you couldn't.  In fact, my translation
{naDevvo' pa' bIjaHlaHbe'}, uses it.  However, I don't agree that being able
to use {-vo'} justifies using {-Daq}.  These three nouns have a locative sense
built in, but not an "away from" sense.  The latter needs to be added with a
suffix.

SuStel
BG
Stardate 96873.3